Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Bathroom Makeover Part 1: Bathroom Tour and Painting Laminate Flooring & Tile.

Warning: these before pics are not particularly pretty.
But here we go.

Welcome to our bathroom. Not awful, right?
2013-12-16 01.20.47

 Until you look down.
2013-12-17 06.27.32

I mean... that is BAD bad.
2013-12-17 06.27.05

When we first moved in 3 years ago, I quickly covered up the old hole in the wall sliding cabinet (it was awful and off center - how dare they!) with a mirror. I painted the walls Marry Me pink by Ben Moore, changed the drawer handles, covered the floor up with a rug, and cleaned like a mad woman. It was fine, until it wasn't fine anymore.

Then, I kid you not, the week that I was like "gimme some inspiration for this damn bathroom, universe!" my sister in law, Carley, like a genius, PAINTED HER BATHROOM TILE. This was just the kick in the pants I needed, and a firm reminder that "you can literally paint anything". It's true.
  2013-12-17 06.28.05

SO... I did a little instagram poll that said "I'm thinking about painting the black tile white, guys, yayy what do you think??"

The overall response?

"OMG NO!"
2013-12-16 01.26.03

But friends, I am a stubborn, stubborn woman when it comes to what I want.

Here is my "OH SHIT. What did I do?" moment. (after the first coat of Gripper Primer)
unnamed (1)

And here's me freaking out internally about the tile around the sink, but painting the floor instead. (this is half way through the first coat of Gripper Primer)
unnamed

BUT: have no fear... all is well in Belladwella land.

Here is some of the tile after 2 coats of Gripper Primer and 2 coats of Rust-Oleum protective enamel (which is just the regular white, that I chose because it matched our bathtub perfectly, and looks quite purposeful even though mismatched against the square tile).
2014-01-06 10.17.48

You'll want to let each coat dry for 6-12 hours on the tile AND the floor. Basically this takes a loooong frickin time, and you obviously can't touch the floor while it's drying.

This is me, trying to get into the tub to take a shower for 2 days.


Here is the floor after. Again, 2 coats of Gripper Primer, 2 coats of Rust-Oleum protective enamel, and 48 hours of François Toulour style gymnastics.
2014-01-06 10.18.53

I am SO EXCITED for the full reveal of this bathroom makeover. The whole space just feels cleaner with no more black. So clean, so fresh, and so springy. Is it spring yet? Anyway, SO EXCITED. Are you as excited as I am about this? beforeandafterbathroom

I sure hope so!!

 Here's what's next: 
Tomorrow: Painting your vanity, painting hardware, and DIY moulding. 
Thursday: DIY roman shade & FULL REVEAL OMG.

15 comments:

  1. So far �� can't wait to see Tomorow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! It was hard to wait and post them in segments! I was so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So smart! How is the floor paint working out? Does it show footprints? Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you donate, pin, share on fb, or retweet #RT #donate to this #rapevictim http://www.gofundme.com/achance2giveitback #goal #PLEASE #HELP #EMERGENCY #Sponsor #gofundme #TFB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Go Fund yourself this is Pinterest.

      Delete
  5. Hello - you didn't sand the tile?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, my tile has grout - can I just prime and paint over it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having thought of installing laminate flooring for your house would be great if you are thingking of selling your house on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I painted my bathroom linoleum and followed the directions to the tee. I used white latex primer as they instructed them I used porch/deck paint to create stripes. I let the room dry 24 hours for each color. Well..... it's peeling. Should I have but a coat of something over all of this before I started re-using the bathroom? HELP!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I suggest you use Gripper brand primer and then oil based enamel paint. I'm afraid latex followed by deck paint will most definitely peel.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Find wide selection of carpet cow, laminate and hardwood flooring services in new York.

    laminate flooring

    ReplyDelete
  11. Find wide selection of carpet cow, laminate and hardwood flooring services in new York.We are dedicated to providing first quality merchandise and service to our Customers.

    Laminate flooring in New York

    ReplyDelete
  12. Painting the bathroom flooring, not a bad idea at all. The tiles were looking good but after painting it is looking even much better. The color combination is looking like having a hardwood flooring in the bathroom. Will the paint last for a long time? Anyways, it is a good try. Bathroom renovation should be done in intervals to give it a new and fresh look. So sweet of you sharing it. Bathroom renovation San Marcos, CA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Find wide selection of carpet cow, laminate and hardwood flooring services in new York.We are dedicated to providing first quality merchandise and service to our Customers.

    laminate flooring services in new york

    ReplyDelete