Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dorothy Draper Dresser DIY

way back in August, I started to re-do the green campaign dresser that yall love (see post here: oooooooops)

I finished this back in August
DSC05221
but I couldn't post because 
a. I had to decorate the top so it wasn't blahh, 
b. I had to vacuum, 
c. I had to take pictures with a legitimate camera and that meant finding the charger.... which.. I found back in August.
So really the main roadblock here was my sheer ability to be unbelievably lazy.

Well here we are in February, and I'll give you a little history. The green campaign dressers were inspired by Vanessa De Vargas. She's a friggin genius. I loved that project, and version II is in the works right now.

I needed a lower dresser for the bedroom. Mainly because I have too many clothes, but also because my brain puts rooms together like puzzles that I can't explain in words, but the fact that the dresser I had was high and shouldn't have been high was making me wonk-eyed every time I walked in the bedroom. Not the most zen experience.

Enter fun new game called: let's copy baby furniture. (Uptown by Nurseryworks, inspired by Dorothy Draper)


nw2
Fact: Blue Ivy Carter sleeps in this: Vetro Crib by Nurseryworks


 I started with this hot mess:
photo(5)

cut out my template:
photo(6)

photo(7)
(hand-drawn... don't ask how. I will mail you a copy if you want)

measure, tape, measure, tape
photo(8)

trace trace trace
photo(9)

tape tape tape
photo(10)

I actually have a tip I can give you: makeup brushes from CVS are the SH*TS meow for painting small areas like this. And they're cheaper than the ones from Benjamin Moore.
photo(11)

photo(12)

done! So impatient I popped the hardware back on while it was still wet.
photo(13)

mission complete baby

DSC05221

DSC05224

DSC05232


Here's a before and after (How-to-put-moulding-on-a-crappy-door-and-paint-it-bright-blue-post coming soon)

BEFORE:
photo(14)

AFTER:
DSC05241

6 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! The transformed door is genius! You one smart cookie, little valentine love bug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved! Its so gorgeous! Would you send me the template? My e-mail is falangeregina@hotmail.com
    Also, what kind of makeup brush should I buy?
    Keep up the beautiful work! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this is gorgeous! Could you please send me the template? My email is cathysands2001@yahoo.com
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh- this is a dream! Love how it looks. Can you send me the template? I'm looking to decorate a nursery next year!! :)
    Thanks! nicolenewman12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. dog crate I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks

    ReplyDelete